Sometimes, it is easier to do make accessories yourself rather than trying to buy them. I had a vision of a leather /silver beads bracelet for a while but after failing to find what I wanted, I decided to make it myself. In the local craft shop I picked up two packets of different silver beads and a leather strap. On the next day I made the bracelet. It was really easy and only took me 10 minutes.
So here I share with you, lovelies, how to DIY this summer bracelet.
6 EASY steps:
1. Cut strap into 3 equal pieces and at one end of each strip, tie a knot
2. Thread 1 turban bead onto each leather strip and slide one bead against the knot
3. Alternate the beads and rope spacers to create whatever pattern you like
4. Drape the finished pieces over your wrist to determine how much to trim off. Keep about 10-12cm from the bottom of your wrist
5. At the untied end, slide a turban bead onto each strip, tie a knot and slide the bead against the knot.
6. Hold all the straps from one end and loop into a knot * ensure there is enough room to slide off your hand!
The bracelet is ready.
Neon is taking over… Clothes, jewellery, shoes. I’ve been eyeing this Noir Neon Necklace for 3 months now, and only yesterday I had an epiphany to make a neon necklace myself. I finally put to use the embroidery threads I bought a year ago when hoping to make friendship bracelets. I combined the threads with a gold chain necklace that was bought for Anastasia. As she likes playing with my Mimcos I thought it’s better to give her a sparkly cheapie to play with instead.
From the initial idea to completion the necklace took me only 30 mins. The result was rather pretty, so I thought I’d share how to do it yourself with you my darlings! It is really easy and inexpensive (mine cost $11).
1) Fold the thread over itself four times. Cut into 2 pieces of different lengths. The first piece is much shorter than the second – measure it against the necklace and cut it to be slightly longer than the necklace is allowing a bit extra to tie it at the ends. The second piece should be 3 times longer than the necklace to be sufficient to do the weaving.
2) Fix both pieces at one end of the necklace. The shortest piece to go along the necklace and the longest piece gets woven over it with the necklace.
3) Start weaving as shown on the photo above. Pull the threads tight at each weave.
4) If you have something to hang the necklace on while weaving that will significantly ease the process. Apparently, there are special hanging/holding gadgets for advanced DIY-lovers who weave a lot. Otherwise, you may wish to hold one end between your knees as I did.
5) When finished, tie double knots with the threads and cut the excess off close to the knot.
- A variety of chains, length is dependent on the design you have in mind. We like to choose heavier chains cause they weigh down on your body instead of shifting around. We like to mix chains too.
- Craft Pliers
- Jumps rings
- Lobster claw clasp
- Mannequin or someone to do this on
First we make 2 loops of chain, one around the neck and one around the arm.
After that we join the two loops using 2 lengths of chains; one at the shoulder and one would be at the center of your collarbone.
Continue adding in lengths of chain in-between the first 2 length of chains that you have added. To ensure that they look nice, ensure that the spacing in between the chains are even.
Just keep adding~!!
Et Voila~! Make sure you’ve added an opening at the back of the neck with a jump ring and lobster claw clasp.
Here’s the final product! Hope you’ve enjoyed this DIY.
- Old shirt (or a new one which doesn’t fit
your boyfriend’s ugly shirt. We used a cheap shirt we got from Primark London.)
- Needle and thread
First, use the unpicker to unpick the stitch line which holds the collar stand to the shirt.
Once it is completely detached, re-sew that line to keep the edges tucked in and neat.
Try it on your cat for size. but srsly no, or it will do this:
See what I mean?
We’ve attached the chains to a separate holder(?) instead of sewing it all directly onto the collar, it makes everything neater. You can make it as understated or as dramatic as you like. We’ve decided to go over the top and added waterfall chains to the collar.
Attach the other side and voila! your very own waterfall chain collar necklace.
It’s certain to jazz up your outfit. It